Honourable Justice Jumoke Olusola Pedro attended the prestigious University of Lagos, Nigeria where she obtained her LL.B with a 2nd Class Upper Division in 1980. In July 1981, she was called to the Nigerian Bar to practice as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria. She practiced briefly between 1982-1984 as a Legal Practitioner with the reputable firm of Akin Olugbade & Co. after completing her N.Y.S.C as a Legal Officer with the Military Police Apapa Cantonment.
In 1984, Her Lordship joined the Lower Bench of the Lagos State Judiciary as a Magistrate. She served as the Registrar of Titles in Lagos State and rose through the Bench to become a Chief Magistrate. In 1999, she was appointed the Chief Registrar of the High Court and served as the Probate Registrar, the Sheriff, the Tax Master, and the Official Receiver.
In 2001, she was appointed a High Court Judge of Lagos State and has served in that capacity ever since. During this her time, Her Lordship worked in various divisions of the court: General Civil, Family and Probate, Commercial, Fast Track, Lands Division, ADR (Track) and once as the designated Judge of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Matters. Her Lordship by the last posting is currently sitting as the Head of Commercial and Fast Track Division of the Lagos State High Court.
Her Lordship authored the book; the Grace for the Race, an inspirational book in 2008. In 2018, a compendium of pronouncements of eminent jurists which have stood the test of time and help to guide and shape the application of substantive and procedure law in Nigeria, which Her Lordship titled The Living Law was authored and published. Recently Her Lordship authored the book, Fundamental Principles of Law, Practice and Procedure. A book that makes for easy research of basic principles of law and practice.
Her Lordship had written and delivered several papers; to mention but a few:
- Ethics, Comportment, Discipline and Anti-Corruption in the Lagos Magistracy delivered in Austria at The Lagos State Magistrate Retreat on the 21st of October 2019.
- A Brief Overview of the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) (VAPP) Act, 2015 delivered at the Stakeholders Trainings on Sexual & Gender Based Violence /Harmful Practices, Women & Girls Access to SHRH, organized by the International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA), Lagos Chapter on the 12th of June 2020.
- Jurisdictional Issues and Preliminary Objection: an overview was delivered at the Induction Course for Newly Appointed Judges of Lagos State Judiciary at Lagos State Judiciary Recreation Centre GRA Ikeja on the 18th of June 2020.
- The Art of Judgment Writing delivered at the Induction Course for newly appointed Magistrates at the Lagos State Judiciary Recreation Centre GRA Ikeja on the 2nd of February 2021.
Her Lordship had attended several conferences, retreats and workshops among which are:
- Commonwealth Magistrates and Judges Association 12th Triennal Conference in Edinburgh, Scotland (2000)
- A 5-day programmed on Navigating the Social Media, Personal and Professional Guides for Judicial Officers, London between 14th – 18th of October 2019.
- The 26th Biennial Congress of the World Jurist Association in Teatro Real Madrid, Spain between 18th and 20th February 2019.
- The Hon. Judges Retreat Washington USA between 12th-20th July 2019 with the theme International Best Practices and the Rule of Law in a 21st Century Global Lagos held in The Ritz Carlton Hotel Orlando, Florida, USA.
- The Virtual National Workshop for Judges on Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) organized by the National Judicial Service Institute (NJI) between 1st and 2nd of June 2021.
In 2008, Her Lordships name appeared on the Honors roll when she was decorated in Vancouver Canada with the insignia of membership of Olave Baden Powell Society by Princess Benedicte of Denmark for her contribution and support to the World Association of Girls Guides and Girls Scouts.
Her Lordship is a member of the International and National Association of Women Judges. Her Lordship is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Nigeria. She is also a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, England, and a Certified Mediator. She is presently the Chairman of the Governing Council Lagos Multi-Door Courthouse. She is the Grand Matron of FIDA Lagos Branch. Her Lordship is a Deaconess at the Guiding Light Assembly, and a Chancellor of the Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion. She is married to Otunba Olufemi Pedro- a former Deputy Governor of Lagos State- and they are blessed with Children.
The Conference is scheduled as follows:
Date: Tues, 30th Nov. 2021.
Venue: Abuja International Trade and Convention Centre, Km 8, Airport Road, Abuja
Theme: Dialogue, Mediation, and Conciliation; A Panacea of Managing Polarised Societies
This event has been divided into two parts:
- Keynote address to be delivered by Prof. Attahiru M. Jega
- Three panel sessions
For registration, please click the link below